This recipe is adapted from my favourite chef, Ottolenghi`s SIMPLE cookbook. Boring tomato soup made more flavourful with a protein-boost of lentils.
This is a great vegan recipe that uses coconut milk. You can also use this soup as a pasta sauce or as a base for a minestrone soup!
What you need-
1 tbsp oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp paprika
Chilli flakes, to taste
1/4 cup red lentils, soaked for 2 hours
6 tomatoes, roughly chopped
4-5 basil leaves
2 cups water
2-3 tbsp coconut milk, or more if you like
Putting it all together-
1. Heat oil in a pot, add onion and saute'
2. Add garlic, coriander powder, paprika and chilli flakes
3. In the same pot, add lentils, tomatoes, basil and water. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered for 15 mins, until the lentils are soft
4. Add coconut milk
5. Take off heat and cool
6. Blend and put back in the pot. Adjust taste and consistency with more coconut milk or water
7. Serve with fresh herbs and toasted seeds
I LOVE to see your creations. Snap a photo and tag @cucinamiabynatasha on Instagram or hashtag #cucinamiabynatasha. Follow me on Facebook & Youtube for more easy recipes.