I love the flavours from the Mediterranean and Middle Eastern kitchen- simple fresh ingredients cooked with bags of flavour. Roasting vegetables and meat in the oven is a great way to cook as you don’t have to keep hovering around the stove, the nutritional value remains intact and you get a lovely smokey charred flavour.
What you need -
2 red peppers, chopped roughly
2 cups chickpeas, boiled
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
½ tsp paprika (optional)
½ tsp cumin powder
4 tomatoes, finely chopped
4 tbsp tomato puree
1 cup water
¼ cup coconut milk
Some fresh thyme/rosemary
Putting it together -
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C. Toss the red peppers with some olive oil and bake for 30 mins.
2. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Add ½ tsp chilly flakes to create a chilly oil.Add the onions and cook till soft and brown.
3. Add the garlic and cook.Add the chopped fresh tomatoes and tomato puree. Cover and cook for 5 mins.Add the cumin powder, salt and pepper.
4.Add the chickpeas and water with some fresh thyme. Cover and simmer for 20 mins till it all comes together.
5.Add sweet paprika if using.Season well with salt, pepper and some more fresh thyme.
6.Stir in the coconut milk. Add the roasted red peppers Adjust the chilly. Simmer for 5 mins. If adding spinach leaves, add them now.
More dishes inspired by the Mediterranean:
1. Chickpea Quinoa Tabbouleh
2. Baked Beetroot Falafels
3. Roasted Cauliflower, Couscous and Pomegranate Salad
Handful of spinach leaves (optional)