You don't have to be Italian to love risotto! Everyone loves a good risotto, and a mushroom risotto is usually a vegetarian favorite (unless you don't like mushrooms!) as it is packed with so much flavor.
Here's my take on a healthier version made with Barley. Barley is a healthy whole grain and much lower in carbs than white Arborio rice.
I recommend serving a fresh crunchy salad on the side with this Barley Risotto. Try my MOROCCAN BEETROOT SALAD.
A great vegetarian appetizer before serving the risotto would be the ZUCCHINI RICOTTA ROLLS or the BAKED BEETROOT FALAFELS.
What you need-
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup Barley (soaked for 2 hours)
2 tbsp butter
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup white wine
3 cups mushrooms, sliced
½ cup chopped parsley
Putting it together-
1. In a saucepan, heat the olive oil with 1 tbsp butter. Add the onions and garlic and sauté.
2. Add one cup of mushrooms, season well with salt and pepper and cook further.
3. Add the barley and toast for 2 mins.
4. Add the wine and allow to evaporate.
5. Add hot water, ladle by ladle. Stir occasionally not allowing the barley to dry
6. In the meantime, in another pan, sauté the remaining mushroom with some garlic and parsley till brown. Keep aside
7. Once the rice is cooked, stir in the mushrooms.
8. Take off heat and stir in the remaining butter, parmesan. Garnish with some parsley.
9. Allow to stand for 2-3 mins and serve hot.